TOEFL is a test designed to evaluate the level of knowledge of people for whom English is not a native language. Many colleges and universities, especially in the US, require foreign students to confirm their TOEFL test scores before being admitted to training. Click To Tweet
What is the Reading section?
- Includes 3 or 4 text with 12-14 questions to each of them. You have 60 or 80 minutes to answer depending on the number of texts. The texts themselves have the same types of questions – finding a synonym for a word in a context, reading a basic idea of a paragraph, paraphrasing a sentence, adding a sentence to a paragraph, and others.
- TOEFL iBT texts are excerpts from university textbooks that represent an introduction to the discipline or topic. They cover a variety of themes. Do not worry if the topic of the text is not familiar to you. All the information you need will be in the text.
- The skills that this section develops are extremely useful for any prospective student because they have the ability to critically read and analyze basic ideas in the text and to distinguish them from the insignificant information or examples in it.
- And last but not least, the texts are extremely interesting for the student, making the preparation for the exam pleasant and motivating for work.
What is the Listening section?
The Listening Section includes questions about academic lectures as well as long conversations in which the speech and the tempo of speaking are authentic. The situations that the talks concern are between: a professor and a student, a student and an administrative officer, two students, and so on. and concern information and situations that each student abroad will encounter, which makes this section extremely practical. While listening, making notes is allowed, and our experience shows that this is a skill for whose acquisition our students need help.
The Listening section lasts 60 or 90 minutes and consists of:
– 4 or 6 lectures, each of which is 3 to 5 minutes long, with 6 questions (multiple choice);
– 2 or 3 conversations, each of which lasts 3 minutes and has 5 questions.
What is the Speaking section?
The Conversation section lasts approximately 20 minutes and includes 6 questions:
– The first two questions are called “independent Speaking tasks” because they require you to fully use your own ideas, opinions, and examples of your experiences in answering.
– The other four questions are called “integrated Speaking tasks” because they require you to combine your English skills – listening and talking or listening, reading and speaking – just as you would in the classroom or outside .
– Answers to the questions will be given by using a headset and microphone and writing your answers yourself.
What is the Writing section?
The writing time of the writing section is 50 minutes. Tasks include two – Integrated Writing Task and Independent Task.
- The combined written assignment (20 minutes) involves reading short text and listening to a short lecture, then answering a question related to both texts. Clarifying the relationship between two texts and using the information and examples they need is another very useful skill for academic work.
- Independent assignment (30 minutes) – essay (argumentative essay) on a given topic.
— i-Courses (@iCourses) 11 декември 2012 г.