What is the TOEFL test?
TOEFL is one of the most popular and accepted tests in the world. It is recognized at over 8500 colleges, universities and agencies in more than 130 countries, including Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States. More than 27 million people in the world have already taken TOEFL to show their English knowledge Click To Tweetranging between Intermediate and Advanced. The TOEFL Exam is suitable for: – students planning to start their higher education; – Admission and exit of English language learning programs; – applicants for scholarships and certificates; – students and workers applying for a visa; The TOEFL iBT test is conducted over the Internet, covering four sections – listening, reading, speaking and writing. The exam takes about four and a half hours and combines these four skills.
During the exam you will have to complete tasks combining more than one of these skills such as: – reading, listening and then speaking to answer a question – listening and then speaking to answer a question – reading, listening and then writing to answer a question.
Form and conducting
The test is conducted in two versions: TOEFL iBT (Internet based) and TOEFL PBT (paper). Both versions have similar content but at the same time we have to emphasize that there are also significant differences in the way of conducting, registering and evaluating.
Test sections TOEFL iBT:
– Reading section: 60-80 minutes and 36-56 questions. You need to read 3 or 4 excerpts from academic texts and then answer questions to them.
– Listening section: 60-90 minutes and 34-51 questions. You listen to lectures, classroom discussions and conversations, then answer questions about them.
– Break time – 10 minutes.
– Speaking section: 20 minutes and 6 tasks, you express your opinion on a familiar question; speak on the basis of listening and reading tasks.
– Writing section: 50 minutes and 2 tasks. Write answers in the form of an essay based on reading and listening; defend your mind in writing.
The exam has a special format, each section has different requirements and special skills are needed. You can search for TOEFL online course free.
How to prepare
Improving Your English Skills
- Give yourself plenty of time to prepare. Learning a language takes a long time
- Think in English. Do so all the time, while you walk, while you plan your day, while you eat. It will become easier as you practice more.
- Learn English grammar. Grammar alone will not assure you a good score in the grammar section, but it is important to know
- Learn to recognize the parts of speech in English. Nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, pronouns, conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections are the primary ones. There are also phrases that function as nouns, verbs, and so on. Try TOEFL test online free practice with score to see what your level is. You can also download free PDF files with helpful tips from here:
- Learn some idioms
2. Read as much as you can in English. Magazines, newspapers, and short articles are a good start, but try to work up to reading books. The reading section will be hardest if you don’t understand the main idea.”